Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Verbal Filter

Is what you say in your head often the rough draft version of the final copy you utter into actual words? Well, I'd like to say what I normally think is actually suitable for real-life conversation...but let's face it...we all use a verbal filter every now and then to make things sound PC, polite, or more understandable. Unfortunately, I recently discovered my verbal filter goes to bed as soon as I'm tired. This is not good. Not good at all.

For example, last night we had a stellar ward talent show for
FHE. I was so excited to be there....honestly....truly....sincerely :). However, when our bright and cheery MC happily announced that a whopping 15 acts were taking part in the show as it got started, I accidentally blurted out, "It's a good thing I brought my book!" to my roommate. Though, it was one of those types of blurts where as soon as you get the words out you realize it was probably audible to all those surrounding you.....and the worst part is it wasn't even what you really meant....just came out wrong, ya know? Anyway, I was exhausted, so sadly the filter was definitely involuntarily turned off.

Moral of the story: If you really want to know if you look fat in them jeans, ask me when my eyelids are droopy ;)

2 comments:

  1. Kristen, you are too funny.. I'm sad that I didn't hear your comment. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just say I adore you? Even when you accidentally turn your filter off... :)

    ReplyDelete