Saturday, October 11, 2008

I love you, please try to love me

I love you, please try to love me (and not be angry or offended). The following blogs are going to consist of matter regarding voting on Prop 8 in California to protect the divine sanctity of marriage between one man and one woman. I realize this is a sensitive issue for many people, but please consider the perspective I'm about to present. These blogs will also be more geared towards those members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the church's current stand on the issue.

The following letter was sent from the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to Church leaders in California to be read to all congregations on 29 June 2008:

Preserving Traditional Marriage and Strengthening Families

In March 2000 California voters overwhelmingly approved a state law providing that “Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California.” The California Supreme Court recently reversed this vote of the people. On November 4, 2 008, Californians will vote on a proposed amendment to the California state constitution that will now restore the March 2000 definition of marriage approved by the voters.

The Church’s teachings and position on this moral issue are unequivocal. Marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God, and the formation of families is central to the Creator’s plan for His children. Children are entitled to be born within this bond of marriage.

A broad-based coalition of churches and other organizations placed the proposed amendment on the ballot. The Church will participate with this coalition in seeking its passage. Local Church leaders will provide information about how you may become involved in this important cause.

We ask that you do all you can to support the proposed constitutional amendment by donating of your means and time to assure that marriage in California is legally defined as being between a man and a woman. Our best efforts are required to preserve the sacred institution of marriage.

With that said, if you are LDS, whatever your stand maybe on the issue....please keep the following in mind. Isn't it wonderful to be in Christ's church that is led by a prophet called of God who receives revelation for our day and time?! Isn't it wonderful that even if are initially unsure of new revelation that the Lord has promised us we can pray about it and find out for ourselves if it is indeed true and of God?! I love examples in the scriptures where people receive commandments from a prophet and initially don't have a testimony of them. For example, in the Book of Mormon when Lehi had a vision that Nephi was unsure of Nephi was able to pray about it and find out for himself. 1 Nephi 2:16, "And it came to pass that I, Nephi, being exceedingly young, nevertheless being large in stature, and also having great desires to know of the mysteries of Go, wherefore I did cry unto the Lord; and behold he did visit me, and did soften my heart that I did believe all the words which had been spoken by my father; wherefore, I did not rebel against him like unto my brothers."


1 comment:

  1. Good articles and information. I don't hate you, nothing but love from me. :-)

    ReplyDelete